Charges for on-street parking in Lewes on bank holidays will be abolished as part of a review of parking restrictions in the district.
The changes, which come into force on Tuesday 3 September 2013 are being introduced by East Sussex County Council following a consultation carried out last year.
They include a new HS permit zone in the town centre, while the boundaries and operational times of some of the existing zones have also changed.
Meanwhile, new time-limited restrictions will be introduced in Falmer, more parking spaces will be created by the removal of some single yellow lines in Newhaven and additional double yellow lines restrictions will be introduced at various junctions across the district.
The changes were introduced following a formal consultation involving public surgeries, questionnaires and meetings with representatives of organisations including Lewes Town Council and the town Chamber of Commerce.
Controlled parking was introduced in 2004 when the county council took over responsibility for parking enforcement in the district.
Cllr Carl Maynard, county council lead member for transport and environment, said: “The introduction of controlled parking has brought major benefits in reducing congestion and allowing residents to park nearer their homes.
“The scheme when it was first introduced was shaped by the views of local people but circumstances change and it’s important that we keep the restrictions under review so they provide the best solution to the district’s parking needs.
“Removing charges on bank holidays was one thing people very clearly told us they wanted to see. We’ve listened to what people have told us and the changes will help us to ensure we have a scheme which suits the needs of the community.”
The following changes will begin to be enforced as of Tuesday 3 September 2013.
• Charges will no longer apply on bank and public holidays.
• A new HS zone has been introduced.
• Those eligible for an HS permit will be given a dual use permit to allow parking in both the HS zone and either zone A, B or D.
• The operational times of zones A, B, C, D, G and HS will change to 9am to 5pm.
• The boundaries of zones A, B, and D have changed
• An extension of zone A to include Ferrers Road.
• New time-limited restrictions in Falmer.
• Removal of some single yellow lines in Meeching Road, Newhaven to create additional parking spaces.
• A loading ban around the junction of Bridge Street and High Street, Newhaven.
• Double yellow lines in Clifton Road, Newhaven will change to single yellow lines.
• Additional double yellow line restrictions at various junctions across the district.