Residents in Eastbourne will find it easier to park outside their homes after a review of parking in the town.
The changes, which come into force on Tuesday 3 September 2013 are being introduced by East Sussex County Council following a consultation carried out last year.
The review includes new permit zones in Meads and Rodmill, extensions to zones G, A, N and S and additional double yellow line restrictions at junctions across the borough.
Controlled parking was introduced in 2008 when the county council took over responsibility for parking enforcement in the borough.
In April 2010 a comprehensive review of the parking scheme was undertaken, which also looked at any parking issues within three other areas of Eastbourne – Meads, Rodmill and Hampden Park.
The informal consultation process began in the summer of 2011 and the formal consultation took place in September 2012, including public surgeries and questionnaires.
Cllr Carl Maynard, county council lead member for transport and environment, said: “The introduction of controlled parking has brought major benefits in reducing congestion and allowing residents to park nearer their homes.
“The scheme when it was first introduced was shaped by the views of local people but circumstances change and it’s important that we keep the restrictions under review so they provide the best solution to the borough’s parking needs.
“We’ve listened to what people have told us and the changes will help us to ensure we have a scheme which suits the needs of the community.”
The following changes will come into force as of Tuesday 3 September 2013.
• New permit zones in Meads and Rodmill.
• An extension of zone G to include Arlington Road, Grange Road, Old Orchard Rd, Southfields Road and a section of The Goffs.
• An extension of zone A to include Bourne Street, Ceylon Place, Commercial Road, a small part of St Leonard’s Road and Wharf Road.
• An extension of zone N to include part of Compton Street, Jevington Gardens (south of Compton Street) and Silverdale Road.
• An extension of zone S to include Burfield Road, part of Blackwater Road, Compton Street, Cornfield Lane, Hardwick Road, Leaf Hall Road, Marine Road, Marine Road, part of Seaside, Spencer Road, St Aubyns Road and Wish Road.
• Roads west of Lascelles Terrace which were in zone S will move into zone N.
• New time limited restrictions in parts of Meads, Rodmill, Hampden Park and Upperton.
• The operational times of some loading bays will change to 7am to 7pm.
• Some changes to where hotel permits can be used.
• Additional double yellow line restrictions at various junctions across the borough.