News releases

COUNCIL leaders have congratulated young people across East Sussex as they receive their A Level, technical and vocational qualifications today. Cllr Paul Soane, lead member for education and inclusion, special educational needs and disability at East Sussex County Council, said: “I would like to congratulate all our young people receiving their results today. This is a significant achieveme...

Rebecca Durrant Thursday, 13 August 2026



Results: 17, Showing page 1 of 2

The Sussex & Brighton Strategic Authority has secured £564,000 from the Department for Transport to explore how bus services across the region could be improved. The funding will support independent studies into the potential benefits of bus reform,including franchising, helping the Strategic Authority assess how future services couldbetter meet the needs of passengers, communities, an...

Rebecca Durrant Thursday, 23 July 2026


East Sussex County Council’s leader has responded to criticism from an MP over the future of the summer food voucher scheme. MP for Hastings and Rye, Helena Dollimore, had written to Cllr Andy Woolley asking why changes in Government funding had led to different support being offered by the county council. Cllr Woolley responded to the MP, challenging her comments and highlighting the...

Karen Bowles Thursday, 23 July 2026


Cllr Andy Woolley (1)

Cllr Andy Woolley, leader of East Sussex County Council The past two months have been the busiest of my life. I was elected leader of your county council in May. Since then, I’ve plunged into the work needed to understand how I and my team might improve life for people in East Sussex. In my view, a change of approach is needed. Voters gave Reform UK most seats on the council, and my colleagues...

Karen Bowles Tuesday, 21 July 2026


County Hall, Lewes, with trees in the foreground

EAST Sussex leaders have called on ministers to urgently reconsider plans to move about 26,000 residents into an expanded Brighton & Hove. Whilst most of East Sussex will stay together allowing strong partnerships to continue, the Government has announced that the reorganisation of local government will see Peacehaven, Telscombe, East Saltdean move to the city’s authority from 2028, despite...

Karen Bowles Thursday, 16 July 2026


AFD 2026

THE Armed Forces flag is flying at County Hall in recognition of the commitment and dedication show by veterans, cadets, serving troops, and their families. The flag has been flying for Armed Forces Week and will mark Armed Forces Day on Saturday, June 27, recognising the contribution made by the whole armed forces community. Cllr Victoria Carson, East Sussex County Council’s vice chairman and...

Karen Bowles Thursday, 25 June 2026


County Hall, Lewes, with trees in the foreground

A REPORT that will guide the council’s priorities and help councillors develop new ideas will be presented to Cabinet next week. The annual State of the County report and the accompanying report looking back at 2025/26, will give the new Cabinet the opportunity to review in detail the current position of the county council. The report will also explore the needs of residents, the policy context...

Karen Bowles Monday, 22 June 2026


Cllr Andy Woolley (1)

EAST Sussex County Council has demanded that Ministers urgently heed the opinions of local people in its plans for council reorganisation. Responding to a Government consultation, the county council said it strongly disagreed with proposals to move 23,900 residents of Peacehaven. Telscombe, East Saltdean and Falmer into an expanded Brighton & Hove City Council from 2028. The county council...

Karen Bowles Friday, 12 June 2026


Cllr Andy Woolley (1)

KEY positions on East Sussex County Council have been approved at the authority’s first full council meeting since May’s election. Cllr Martin Kenward, member for Bexhill East, was elected the new chairman of the council, while Victoria Carson, member for Bexhill South, will serve as vice-chairman. Cllr Andy Woolley (pictured), member for Heathfield and Mayfield, was confirmed as the new leader...

Karen Bowles Thursday, 21 May 2026


Hastings Town Scene 4

A NEW school-based programme working with children and their families will launch in Hastings this September. East Sussex County Council, local schools and community organisations will work in close partnership with charity AllChild to deliver the initiative, which will initially launch in the communities of West St Leonards, St. Helen’s, Baird and Ore. A £3 million investment will fund the pro...

Karen Bowles Thursday, 14 May 2026


County Hall, Lewes, with trees in the foreground

PEOPLE in East Sussex are being offered a say on the latest Government proposals to move parts of the county into Brighton and Hove. Ministers are asking for views on their suggestion that Peacehaven, Telscombe, East Saltdean and Falmer should form part of an expanded Brighton & Hove City Council (BHCC) from 2028. The latest consultation is part of the reorganisation of local government,...

Karen Bowles Tuesday, 12 May 2026


Results: 17, Showing page 1 of 2