Now East Sussex County Council is asking the public to give their views on the plans which include new bus lanes, bus stops and shelters, upgrades to junctions and signals to give priority to buses, and new and upgraded pedestrian routes and crossings.
The Improvements are part of the council’s Bus Service Improvement plan aimed at ensuring residents and visitors can enjoy the highest possible quality bus services, improving air quality and helping the county to reduce its carbon footprint.
The proposals are just one part of the plan which is being progressed after the council received £41.4 million from Government.
Cllr Claire Dowling, lead member for transport and environment, said: “We believe that by making these improvements across Eastbourne, Peacehaven and Newhaven, we can help to provide a more reliable service for residents and visitors, encourage greater use of public transport, and tackle congestion in these areas.
“It’s important that we work with local communities to ensure that any measures we put in place are successful and have the most positive effect on these areas as possible. To achieve this, we need to hear from residents and businesses and their feedback will help shape our final designs.”
A range of measures are planned in four areas in Eastbourne – King’s Drive, Upperton, Seaside Corridor and Seaside Roundabout, Eastbourne Station Area, and Sovereign Harbour, and three in Newhaven and Peacehaven – Newhaven Town Centre Ring Road, Drove Road, Newhaven Town Area and Denton Roundabout, and Peacehaven A259 Corridor.
The public consultation, which started on July 31, runs until Monday, September 25. Residents can have their say by visiting https://consultation.eastsussex.gov.uk/economy-transport-environment/busprioritymeasures
The following drop-in consultation events will take place for members of the public to view plans and ask questions;
- Wednesday, August 30 – 2pm to 6pm – Court Room, Eastbourne Town Hall
- Thursday, September 7 – 10am to 1pm – Room 1, Telscombe Civic Centre, South Coast Road, Telscombe Cliffs,
- Thursday September 7 – 2pm to 5pm – Community House, Meridian Centre, Meridian Way, Peacehaven
- Thursday, September 14 – 11am to 2pm – Newhaven Outdoor Market, High Street
- Thursday, September 14 – 3.30pm to 7pm – The Art Room, Hillcrest Community Centre, Newhaven
- Saturday, September 16 – 9.30am to 1.30pm – The Foundry, Beacon Shopping Centre, Eastbourne
All feedback from the consultation will be considered when preliminary and detailed designs are drawn up towards the end of the year.